Welcome to Night Vale


Welcome to Night Vale is a podcast by Joseph Fink and Jeffery Cranor.  It's mysterious and funny, scary and imaginative. And now it is also a book. 

My co-worker and friend Kenzie introduced it to me. She quit, and I miss working with her. Luckily she lives a five minute walk away. But when she had bread shift and I had donut shift, she'd hand me her iPod and have me listen to random Night Vale episodes ... I loved it. So about a month and a half ago I was thinking about it and wanting to hear them all. From the beginning. Found the app on my phone and started. Shared it with my boyfriend James. 

We have spiraled out of control with it! Seriously. We make references to it all the time, listen to it all the time. I force co-workers to listen to bits of it, share it with anyone who will listen! He bought us the book, we've started reading it. We've started following Cecil on Facebook. Cecil is the actor who is the voice of the main character, the host of the Night Vale community radio station. Who is also named Cecil ... :)



This is some fanart of the character. No, doesn't look like the actor, but I actually like the fanart. Sometimes Cecil does sound like the image above. Young and hip. Other times he sounds older, more mature like the image below.  Either way, he has a great, soothing voice, rich and deep. I'm one of those people who cannot sleep with the TV or radio on. Seriously, it keeps me awake. My boyfriend needs the noise to sleep. I can sleep to Cecil. Especially if it is on really low. It's soothing.



I've never been one for podcasts or youtube videos etc. ... I never have time or the interest. But Night Vale ... It is so unbelievably creative! Seriously, give it a listen. 


All hail the glowcloud!!! 


Cecil on his phone.  Get back to work, Cecil!



Welcome to Night Vale also does live shows. Really. Live shows. And whenever they come to Seattle, they sell out FAST!! James just happened to be browsing Cecil's Facebook page and saw ... THEY ARE COMING TO SEATTLE THIS SUMMER!!! Right then and there he used savings and bought us tickets. We aren't playing around. Already the good seats were sold out, and they'd only been on sale a few hours! We got the second to best seats, and we are going!! I cannot wait! So now I'm in a hurry to catch up on episodes and read the book!

Look them up on youtube or, I believe, the website is commonplacebooks.com .... Google that. It's worth a listen. They have guest stars all the time, including Mara Wilson as the Faceless Old Woman and Wil Wheaton as ... I don't know. Haven't made it to his episode, I don't think. And every episode features a new and unheard of band. The music is good. Only one episode played a song I didn't like. The rest have been good, and a few I'm going to see about finding CDs or getting the music on iTunes. The music is the "Weather" section of the podcast. I think it's because it's a desert community. Always hot and sunny, there is no other weather. So they put on music instead. :)

Comments

Popular Posts