Books Are Better

I love books. No matter where you are in the world or what you are doing, by simply opening the pages of a book and losing yourself in the wonderfully crafted words you become someone else, someone more. You find yourself battling dragons or flying on broomsticks, racing against the clock to catch murderers before they strike again, triumphing over an impossibly evil villain with nothing more than pepper spray in your hand. In a book, you are not just another face in the crowd, another person on the subway heading toward a drab day at the office or behind the coffee bar. In a book you are the only one between a world of unsuspecting innocent people and the apocalypse. You can escape the mundane and ordinary and live a life that is extraordinary. And what is the good of television? Faster story, true. Moving imagies before your eyes. However...The best way to say this is by quoting a book: "I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style, park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like." I love this paragraph from Karen Marie Moning's Darkfever. Said exactly right. Books, also, can be carted around wherever you go. True, you can watch shows on your phone now while out in public, but there is no magic in that. I usually carry around at least two or three books with me wherever I go. Never know when you'll be stuck in line, traffic, early to an appointment...Simple two day visits to my mom's house finds me with one change of clothes and five books in my bag. Simply put, books are magic. The feel of them, the smell of them, the wonderfully constructed sentences between crisp pages. I live and breathe books.

Comments

Popular Posts