Sands of Egypt

I have always had a fascination with all things Egyptian. That was the first section of study in my early history classes that I actually paid any attention to. Mummies, pharaohs, pyramids, ancient tombs yet to be discovered. Wars and political aspects of history put me to sleep, but secret graves beneath enigmatic pyramids nobody has seen for centuries filled with treasures and preserved bodies? Oh, I paid attention. How strange to pull brains out through nostrils, pack away organs in pretty jars, and infuse the bodies with spices. Then wrap them up in a bulk package of Charmin?
My imagination was piqued.
As years went by and I grew up, I started to find other bits of history interesting. True, none grabbed at me the way Egypt did, but suddenly WWII was becoming interesting. What demonic spawn had created Hitler anyway? And the Civil War... Well, I finally understood it a lot better which made it more enjoyable to read about.
I've obviously become a history fanatic, but nothing could compare to Egypt... Until I discovered Ancient Greece, but that is another story for another day.
Egypt is where my love of history began. While some wars fascinate me, some political elements grab my attention, my favorite historical aspects are the mysteries, the things yet to be discovered. I love learning about simple things. What life was like in an average day. What people wore, why they had the beliefs they had, did the things they did. I think mostly I like to know people. People from another time practically translates to another world. Life is do different now than what it was when Ramses or Tutankhamun ruled Egypt. They might have been from some far off planet rather than earth. That is what I love to find out. How they lived and why they lived.
While I'm a huge fan of Tut and Carter, and I love James Patterson's The Murder of King Tut, this book promises to look into smaller, previously overlooked tombs. I'm only on page 13, but the author is already hinting at exploring a tomb Howard Carter had barely mentioned in passing. A tomb with two female mummies and mummified geese, I believe. While Tut is awesome and wildly famous for the mysteries surrounding his short time as Pharaoh and his strange and sudden death, he is by no means the most important discovery. Some of these overlooked tombs may be very valuable in knowledge, answering questions never answered before.
I freakin' love it.

Comments

Popular Posts