Write Drunk

I saw a quote that read, "Write drunk. Edit sober." I was interested. Caught my attention. Sounds like a good ole time, Margaret. (Margaret... Ray Stevens music video? Anyone?)
Anyway, an excuse to drink right? Not that I need one.
Tried it last night. Fun. I was laughing, having a blast. Giggling at every extremely clever word I typed. Had earbuds in my ears with Buckcherry screaming at me the whole time. (i love their song titled Bliss.) I was so distracted by the music and the awesome giggle fits I kept having that I think I only wrote 1,500 words, but when I went to edit this morning...not bad. Spelling and grammar and sentence structure were all fine! And turns out that my writing is more open and free when I'm giggling and happy drunk. When sober, I worry too much about all the rules of writing. I worry that it isn't funny enough. How do I make it interesting and entertaining? I need something amazing and original! Ahhh!
Drunk, I don't worry at all, I just write. And, let's face it, when tipsy, everything is ten times funnier. Also, alcohol has this wonderful side effect that makes you come up with some of the best ideas that can get you into heaps of fun trouble! I used that and made my character get in trouble rather than myself. It was an amazing experience!
That I'm seriously contemplating repeating tonight.
If this headache stays at bay with tylenol...

Comments

Popular Posts