Killing Characters

I am only one or two scenes from the end of my sequel.  I have to kill someone, I realize this. Even children's books are not exempt from death.  Since I have so many characters, I have plenty to chose from, but it sadens me.  I can't just kill an extra. I have to kill a main character.  If Boromir didn't die, if Haldir didn't die... Well, we weren't really emotionally connected to all the extras who died at the Battle of Helm's Deep.  Somebody had to die that would make us cry. (Lord of the Rings, for those few who probably are not cool enough to be LOTR geeks like I am.)

So the question is: who do I kill?  Not a parent of my main character, that's already been done.  Not a child, they are too young, I couldn't do that.  Probably a few of my more popular Landothians.  That's what I must do.  I am nervous about this.  I don't want Shh dead.  Maybe... I think I know who must die to add some emotional trauma. I also must go and rewrite a few scenes to amplify the inevitable demise of this character.  I won't say who is going to die.  Should my book be published, I will give nothing away here.

Yesterday I went to town with Mom. Naturally. My stepdad is addicted to popsicles. After we went and bought him four boxes, we stopped at a few secondhand stores in search of puzzles.  We hadn't bought any new ones for a while. We found some. One very fun one, a box with three less fun ones, and one we realized after we were home and trying to open it that it was a double-sided puzzle.  We put it away quickly.  At this store I also found me a few books.  Three.  Two Nora Robert books I used to own but lost along the journey of my life.  And the sequel to some young adult book about Greece and Helen of Troy. Upset that it is the sequel, but I have so many books to read, I can wait until I get my hands on the first one. Oh well.

Last night I had  a strange dream.  Gramma was in it.  Her wind chimes on Mom's front porch are going crazy today in the wind .  And thought it is spring, we have snow flurries.

Comments

Popular Posts