No Drinks By The Laptop Please!


Finally the weekend! It is times like these, after weeks like this one, where I wish with all my heart I were a sociable person. I want a huge group of friends who drink every weekend and play fun drinking games! I could use an alcohol party right about now. Nothing to do with books, but there you have it.

Yesterday I was going to work on my latest novel. I was babysitting my friends son and the day turned out to be one of the worst days of my life. Well, maybe the fourth worst day of my life. Put Boo down for his nap and tried to get some editing done. Couldn't seem to concentrate. Finally, after an hour and a half, I manage to start getting into my work. Then R texts to say that a guy is coming to look at the desk chair she has on the porch cause she is trying to sell it. He shows up, doesn't want to pay more than five for it. I text R back to see if that is fine. She takes a half hour to answer, so I am standing there making small talk with this complete stranger instead of working on my book. Finally she answers. A few more texts sent back and forth, and the man agrees to her price.

As he is loading the chair into his truck and I'm thinking about getting back to work, the headstart calls. My niece is throwing one of her tantrums, I need to come get her. I was livid! Boo is asleep, my car is parked a few houses down at my place. I text R. She says she has a few minutes between volunteering for her two daughter's classes, she will swing by and drop off Kira so I don't have to interrupt her son's nap. I have a long talk with Kira, sit her in time out to watch me work. I don't get anything done, and after five minutes I make her lay down for a nap. The second she is out I'm hurrying to my computer to work ... the bedroom door down the hall opens and Boo comes wandering out. Awake. An hour and a half early. Groaning with frustration, I put his shoes on and haul him outside so he doesn't wake up Kira who is asleep on the couch. I bring out my computer to work while he plays, but no such luck. He keeps talking and wants to play catch. I put my computer away and plaly with him.

R finally comes home and I spend the next two hours trying to get out the door, but she likes to talk. However, she gave me an excellent idea for my book! That's what I wanted to work on yesterday! I wanted to write this character into the next scene! R's husband has a crazy ex who messages them every few months or so for the past five years. She says things like, "Good morning, asshole! Hope you know I'm going to pay you back someday! You and your ugly ass wife!" So R and I are sitting there reading through all her old messages she sent to R and to R's husband, and to R's friends. R will block her on FB so she cannot see anything the woman posts, but the crazy bitch goes and makes a new page just to post messages to R's page again! So, I'm not even changing her name! She's going to be Oliver's ex! Too funny! Going to use some of those messages she actually sent! See, life gives us stuff all the time that is useful!

I wanted to open my computer and get to work! I finally escaped and headed home with Kira. Then I soaked my computer in coffee! Seriously, dumped coffee all over it, couldn't get it to come on, was devistated. Haven't backed up any of my work in a while. I try to get all the screws out of the bottom to open my laptop, but three are stuck good. I am bawling thinking about all my lost work. I keep trying to get it to come on, nothing. The fourth time I try, it finally starts up! I hurry and save all 31 documents to a flash drive! My stories, notes, story ideas, all held on a flash drive now! THANK YOU WHOEVER IS LOOKING OUT FOR ME! My computer friend told me to take out the battery, unplug it over night. So I did. Today it seems to be back to normal. Only thing is: the power button is a little hard to push. It is the only sticky button! Wow!

But all is good. And today I got more of my cover done! Yay!

Comments

Popular Posts