Working During An Invasion


I am stubborn, I refuse to let this house win!

It is a quarter till five a.m., and I refuse to give up writing for the night. I may write all morning, too, and well into the afternoon. All thoughts of sleep vanished from my mind when the scorpion showed up and snapped at my dog. Then I stayed in a tight ball on the couch watching the floor closely in case it came back out of hiding. For three hours I sat like that working on my book, watching the floor, learning from my brother on facebook that vinegar will kill it.

Then it appears again on the twin mattress on the living room floor! (The mattress is left over from last weekend's sleepover I had for my nieces and nephew.) I jump from the two-seater sofa to the recliner, which pops open under me. My eyes remain glued to the mattress as I race for the kitchen, grab a broom and bottle of vinegar, and hop back onto the recliner. I see perfectly the little shit making an attempt on my life. Beating him with a broom, I scream like it can fly!

Yeah, if someone were outside, they'd easily see into my lit up house as I stood screaming on the couch flinging a broom around and clutching a bottle of vinegar to my chest! Sure I made quite the comical sight! Then, while I'm trying to gather my nerve to drown the bastard, it has the gall to scuttle under a blanket! Oh, of course. And there's no FECKING way in hell I'm moving that blanket so it can jump out and sting me! Nope!  Setting the broom and vinegar aside, I reach down from my perch on the sofa to unplug my computer charger, gather my laptop into my arms, my book, my tiny notecard binder, and I hop onto the arm of the sofa and jump across the recliner and race into the kitchen.  From where I am sitting at the table, I can see the little fucker coming should it commence it's attack on my life.

Naturally, I am wondering who put this hit out on my life.  If I had anything published, I would say an angry fan.  Possibly someone I portrayed in a book very ACCURATELY and the person didn't like it too much.  But, sadly, I remain unpublished.  Haven't really tried much yet because my books aren't perfect. And the series I'm working on now is the one.  My ticket into a house WITHOUT scorpions.  Where I can hire those bug people to come spray my house every six months or so.  That'd be nice.

Mostly I just want a car! And I want to buy my sister a car. And pay of my other sister's mortgage. And my Aunt Melanie's mortgae. And Aunt Rosie's. Lots of that sort of thing, moving on.

Actually, that's all. Back to work now.  I'll probably ask my mother if I can use her house until she gets home from vacation. I have a key! She doesn't have a scorpion issue. I'd say that's a match made in heaven ... if I believed in heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts