Writing New Characters



Today I had every intention of cleaning and writing 3,000 words. ...

Well, I started cleaning. And I now have about 4,000 words more ... of NOTES.

The above quote is perfect for tonight. I ended up spending the past four hours (it is four a.m.) talking online with my co-author. We were trying to figure stuff out for our five books and I mentioned a character she hasn't read yet. (I do the writing. She reads what I write. She's so far behind.) She's all, "Who's Micah?"

So we're talking. I had toyed with the idea that Micah should have his own book too, though he was meant to originally be a minor character in the first two books. But I want one book to be about Atlantis, and that means adding a book cause all five have been figured out.

Lynsi asks me, "Do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend picked out for Micah?"

Then it came to me. An idea I had never thought to write in my entire life (but, jokingly, thought of this idea for a story idea I'd had a few years ago). A threesome. Look at that, he gets a boyfriend and a girlfriend. Wow. Then we start figuring out who they all are, their names, what they look like. (With Lynsi, somehow we ALWAYS end up with actors.) So I picked Micah's picture out on google image. She came up with Wentworth (and that's the actor's name too!), and I gave a face to Laynzi (I also named her. I wanted Kensi, but Lyns likes Zs. Then I wanted Lane or Layn and came up with Laynzi so she can have her Z).

Anyway, they are not my normal thing, out of my comfort zone, but they work well together. I won't give background on them to explain WHY they work well together, but just know that it is actually a touching and beautiful story. Full of drama.

 
This quote is true. Very much so. Everything in life around me ends up taking some shape or form in my books.  I can't help it. A simple line of dialogue. A color I find appealing. A song adding an idea for a plot twist. The smell of a lotion. Any and everything around me gets woven into my stories. Become story fabric.
 
Now that it's 4:23 in the morning, guess I'll go see how much coffee I can consume and how many words I can produce before daylight makes me run for my bed to try and sleep a few hours!

Comments

Popular Posts