Characters: More Important Than Plot

 
The characters make the book. While plot and technique are important, the characters are the most important element of a book. If the reader doesn't like the characters, can't relate to them, doesn't care what happens the them, the reader will grow bored and probably not finish the story. I know. I've gotten partially through books that have great plot and story, but I was so uninspired by the characters that I put the books down and never glanced their way again.
 
I also get easily attached to my own characters. My friend and I fight over our own characters the way we fight over Karen Marie Moning's 9 or the Warden's Black Dagger Brotherhood characters. Like we actually own them. Completely ridiculous, I know, but we do. We go back and forth trading characters like some people would trade baseball cards. Instead of "I'll trade you a Ken Griffey Jr. for an Ichiro," it's "I'll trade you all 9 for John Matthew, Blaylock, and Qhuinn."
 
And we're still having arguments over which of our characters we own. I gave her our Vinish because she did technically create him. But She wants David? I don't think so! I created David long before she became my co-author. David is mine. As is Wentworth and Micah. Luckily she doesn't fight me for those two, they don't hold that much appeal to her the way they do me. They've actually become my favorite characters to write. Well, haven't written any Wentworth yet, he doesn't come in until book six.
 
My point is that characterization is key. For me, anyway. I'm no authority on writing a book. Yeah, I have three books written and a fourth nearly done, but nothing is published yet. I think I'm just nervous about that. Besides still having to edit everything, I fear my books will never be quite ready for publication. Makes me sick thinking about it.
 


Comments

Popular Posts