Rebel At Heart


This is true, but I'm curious about what that says about me.  My favorite Harry Potter book is the fifth one because it's a group of kids standing up and rebelling against the evil ministry, forming a secret group to go against the rules and do what they believe is right.

Which is why I love books like Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Lois Lowry's The Giver, George Orwell's 1984, Scott Westerfeld's The Uglies ... I can go on, but you get the idea.  Maybe I'm just rebellious at heart. 

Like Henry David Thoreau said, "If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law."

There's loads more quotes by him I could use here, I just don't happen to have the book with his essay in it nearby.  But this quote works.  I simply like stories where government controls the lives of the people, controls everything they think, say, and do. Then you get a hero who's like, "Oh, hell no!"

I REALLY don't like being told what to do or how to live.

Anyway, on a completely different note, I have four days to finish my book, and I'm at 79%. I hope to finish a day or two early and get to work on the cover sooner. I NEED to move into my own place, get a desk, a spinning chair, dozens of bookshelves full of reference books and encyclopedias ...

I know, you wonder why?  Why when the internet is full of all the information I could need?

Well ... because BOOKS, that's why.

And, all the books above mentioned ... FIVE stars.

And James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl is five stars, too. That and Fahrenheit 451 are recent reads. They are awesome.

Oh, and the cute children's series starring Piper Reed by Kimberly Willis Holt is a really adorable series for young readers. Piper Reed is such a character!

Okay, I've wasted enough time! I  must go work!!!

Comments

Popular Posts