Cover Chaos


I'm terrible at covers. Well, I liked the cover I painted for The Cottage, but that was oil on canvas, something that I haven't done in years and am out of practice.

This cover is terrible, and I'm still not sure about the title. It sounds good, but the cover here was from years ago when I first started working on this project with a friend. We had planned out many Easter eggs through our books to link the two series together, the brand of Whiskey here only one such egg. (Though, I was supposed to take out the E in Whiskey because, I guess, they drop that letter  in Scotland ... She's obsessed with Scotland, and her characters made MaConehar Whisky ...)

Perhaps someday my writing will go somewhere and I'll have real, professional covers done. I'm thinking that I'll continue the Cottage series on canvas, as the cover turned out beautifully that way. But I don't really have the time and patience for painting every cover for every book.

Photography is an option, though as time consuming. I'll keep covers simple, but still ... staging images and getting it just right ...

I'm more interested in the writing than the presentation of my books. Maybe the best thing to do is to get over my fear of rejection and try to find an agent or anyone interested in Shattered rather than publishing myself on Kindle. That was good enough for my children's book, but this book ...

Well, this is my baby. This book is the book, the one that I believe is good enough to really go far. It needs a cover that really screams, "READ ME! Enter my world of monsters and shattered souls ..."

This cover does not scream that. This cover screams, "Boring! Put me back and pick up Cinder by Marissa Meyer ..."

I'm tempted to rethink the entire cover. Come up with something simple and new for it. It works for the title, but ...

I feel that this book will never be perfect enough for me. I want it to be perfection, and I'm probably over-picking at it, even with the editing and revisions I'm working on ... Bet it's great the way it is, I'm just smothering it to death!

Comments

Popular Posts