Someone Came Knocking


Sunnyside will finally be a thing. A real, actual thing. I've been working on it a lot lately, even recorded the entire first episode (my part of it anyway).

Several hours ago, while my fiance was at work and I was home alone, there was a knock on the door that scared the shit out of me. It's dark out, there's a knock. We never get knocks. We live in a gated apartment complex and have no friends. Who the fuck is knocking?

My dogs go crazy barking, I'm reading a book that has goosebumps covering my skin (In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters), so I'm instantly on alert. I jump up, turn out some of the lights, and turn off my Pandora ... I look through the peephole in the front door.

Nobody.

I text James, "Someone knocked on our front door, but there's nobody there! Please come home, I'm scared."

Well, he's at work. Obviously not going to come home. He texts that it's probably UPS with our package that Amazon said was delivered.

"At this hour? With no gate code?" And usually packages go to the office and we pick them up.

But, feeling brave, I unlock the door and pull it open an inch.

Oh. A package from Amazon. Go figure.

It's our second microphone. We bought one back when I first started writing Sunnyside, and decided we should have two to make recordings easier. Instead of us both leaning into one mic, we'd each have one at our computer. We can record our lines side-by-side, make the conversations flow more smoothly.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've recorded my part of episode one three times. Trying to find the right way to read Molly Monroe's character. I've handed out a few scripts to people who will be in the podcast, and I even made Devin a Sunnyside image (photo above). His character doesn't have a last name. He's mysterious like that.

I'm excited enough about this project, I even ordered two mugs! One with Molly's picture and a quote from her, and one with Devin's picture and a quote from him. His and her mugs. I am looking forward to me and James drinking our morning coffee out of those mugs while recording Molly and Devin's lines ...

The mugs won't be here for a while, though. He finally has a whole weekend off work, and we are spending Saturday recording, editing, and adding music to the first episode. Hopefully we can get it all done tomorrow ...

Ahh! I forgot to message my friend about recording her part tomorrow over Skype. I hope she's not busy tomorrow ...


The above photo is the original Sunnyside picture I made. Molly Monroe, the character I will be voicing. I'm really excited, as I've said several times. I think I'll go work on episode four. It's only half written.

By the way, In the Shadow of Blackbirds is an amazing, five star book. I can't wait to get my hands on all of Cat Winter's books. She's a wonderful and brilliant author.


Comments

Popular Posts