Grrr to Formatting


Draw in huge breath ... hold ... annnnnd release .....

This morning I woke to a message from my ex. He said he was going to start his YouTube channel again, can I send him the link to my book because he would like to read my book on his channel to hopefully get my book out there. (Though, he really only has maybe four viewers, but still. The thought counts.)

I thanked him and told him I'll fix the formatting first and set it to free.

OMG FORMATTING! I never knew about formatting before. I put my book up on amazon in 2014, and let it rot there. Then a year or two ago I got an eBook to walk you through formatting for amazon kindle ...

Mostly, it's been easy. But trying to figure out converting it to html ...

And Word wanted to add some random page break in the MIDDLE of my chapter ...

There was NO helpful tips on how to remove that page break ... so I cheated. I cut the first half of the chapter and pasted it to the other half and managed to delete that empty page. Grrrr.

And I still cannot figure out how to fecking add images!! I just want to put my map in there as a guide to traversing Landoth.

Sigh. However, even with all these struggles, I'm getting pretty excited. It maybe earned me $70 four years ago, but has been sitting there ignored since. I've been meaning to fix the formatting for years and mark it free. Nobody knows who I am, why pay money for my one book?

Recently I got dozens of free eBooks on my kindle app. I know what these authors go through writing a book, so I hate taking them for free, but it's a good thing, I realized. Because of the free books, I've gone on to buy the second books in many series. The first one is free, and you can buy the rest of the series ... Kind of a sample of the author's work before the reader invests in any more from that unknown author.

Just ... all that hard work unpaid for ...

Oh well. We do what we must. If my writing is ever going to help me quit my day job, I will do what it takes!! Even working months and months and months on a project and giving it away to strangers for free.

I hope James can figure out how to add my map to the book. It really is a good map. ... I should probably fix it on a drawing table ... The one I have is drawn in color pencils, like all my book art usually is ...

Except covers are oil on canvas.

I'm procrastinating now.  Back to struggling over this formatting crap so I can republish it on amazon.


Comments

Popular Posts