Keep Going and Never Give Up


Time to dust off my laptop. I haven't used that thing in ages, and it used to be my favorite toy. ... Of course, it used to be my only toy until two years ago when I started dating James, and he bought me this awesome desktop!

Tomorrow, I'm meeting two co-workers for a writing session at a local, hipster coffee place. We were discussing on our lunch break this week where to write. I thought Barnes & Noble would be good, but they have terrible seating. The only cafe in a B&N I like was the one I worked at in Missouri. They had the whole pew/bench seating wrapped around the cafe against a half wall that gave cafe a nice private feel to it ...

Yeah, the newer stores all have that open seating shit and I feel exposed, and there's no seats against a wall with an outlet ...

We discussed Starbucks where I used to spend time writing alone ... But, again, seating is an issue. There's always too many people milling about taking up the few good tables. Seriously, every Starbucks maybe has ONE good table that is big enough for four laptops and is near an outlet. Otherwise, it's tiny tables that MIGHT hold one laptop or just your cup of coffee ....

Well, the place we are meeting at is called Spotted Cow ... I like the name. Apparently a nice, hipster place with good seating and tables and space for writing.

I've been trying to get a writer's group together for ... ever? About a year ago or so I started to write with one of these co-workers ... then we both did a semester of college ... She's still going for Early Childhood Education, but that one semester made me realize ... these ECE types are all morons, and I'd rather write for a living than work with children the rest of my life. The only children I want to work with after I am able to finally quit my day job is the foster kids I take in, and the foster kids I adopt.

Back on point ... Tomorrow, we're meeting to write. I'm really excited, but also hoping that actual writing gets done. I don't know how serious either one of them are about writing. Since Riane is still in school for ECE ... who knows? And Staci ... I don't know how serious she is about anything, really.

I've had people before who are all, "Yeah, I write. I have this awesome idea for a book ..."

But they don't actually write the book. They get started, but lose interest or get lazy. Or were never really that serious about writing in the first place.

Me? Writing is my life. I can't wait for the day that I get paid to write so I can spend more time writing and less time wiping snot and drool off of toddlers and teaching them over and over and over again to cough like a vampire instead of in my face so I can stop getting sick all the time ...

Funny thing is, the kids are the only part of my job I actually like. I love those little monsters.

I'm rambling. Procrastinating, as usual.

It takes more than a story idea to be a writer. You have to actually write the book. And after that book, you've got to write the next one. Keep going and never give up. That's what I'm going to do. No matter how many times my books get rejected, I'm going to keep trying. Because that's all I can do. Writing is what I'm good at.

Comments

Popular Posts