Birthday Surprise

For my birthday last month, my husband had the best gift for me. Honestly, it was amazing. Like when Adam (Beast) gives Belle the library. Happy sigh ...

No, James didn't give me a library. However, he did set me free in Half Price Books and let me go to town! I kept worrying over how much was in the cart, and I'd send him a glance while clutching yet another book to my chest. He'd smile and say, "Put it in the cart."

I never even knew that store had carts! Brilliant! I always said that if bookstores had shopping carts, I'd get myself into trouble. Debt trouble.

Half Price Books has carts. I was lovingly caressing the spines of books, searching out specific authors and books that would complete the many series I had started reading over the years and had yet to finish because I didn't own them all. After only a few minutes in the store, I looked over at James and felt guilty. There he was trying to hold a stack of hardcovers, and we weren't even close to being done. I took them from him and asked him to go grab one of those hand baskets. That would make it easier.

He brought me a little red shopping cart!! Smartest bookstore ever! As much as I love Barnes & Noble (I worked there for three years in the cafe, and it was my favorite job ever), do they have shopping carts?

No.

Did I find all the books on my list? I think I had about a hundred on my list, and maybe found six of them. But that's fine. I left there with twenty-three new books and only $223 spent. I was ecstatic!

At home, I immediately took them all out of the reusable bags we bought to put them in and sorted through them, deciding what to read first. Then I placed them back in those bags.  All three bags have been on the floor next to my side of the bed since that day, easy to reach when I'm ready for the next book.




Also, I may have a book problem. Since then I've ordered a book on Amazon, four more from Half Price Books online, and another one from Amazon.

Apparently, I don't have enough. (I'm looking around my room wondering where I can fit a fourth bookshelf ....)

So far, I've read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. That series was on my list because I recently finished The Outsider, and Holly Gibney begins in the Mr. Mercedes series. I wanted to read more about her and find out who this Bill Hodges is that she was always on about in The Outsider.

Amazing. Seriously, King is a master. My sister and I are huge fans, we get into long conversations about his work, she always knows when the newest shows/movies/miniseries are coming out and on what streaming service ... We can't help ourselves. I have several favorite authors, and he is on that list.

Along with Roald Dahl, J. K. Rowling, Cornelia Funke, Karen Marie Moning, Lowis Lowry, Ransom Riggs, Harper Lee, and Neil Gaiman. And I searched today to see if Erin Morgenstern had written anything else after The Night Circus. She has. She will most likely be added to my favorite author list once I read another one of her books. I read The Night Circus once, and man! That book draws you in with the most beautiful imagery ... wow. Just WOW.

If you haven't read that book, I suggest you do. If you like magic and mystery and beauty ... she crafted her words so beautifully, I swear I saw it play out in my head, and it was beautiful. The clothes the characters wore, the circus tents, the tree ...

I have been wanting to read it again since that first time, and I think I shall do that soon. I'm currently reading Finders Keepers (Second Bill Hodges book), To Kill A Mockingbird, Reign (Chanda Hahn), and Lover At Last (J. R. Ward). There's also a stack of books next to my bed I've started and need to start reading again because I didn't finish them and have forgotten the stories because I try to read too many books at once.

Patience isn't for me.

One book I ordered on Amazon was Escape to Witch Mountain by Alexander Key. I grew up on the Disney movie, it was one of my favorites as a child. I think I sort of remember watching the movie once and seeing that it was based on a book, but that left my memory over the years. Recently I watched the first movie, the second movie, and the Dwayne Johnson remake with my husband. When we saw it was based on a book, I immediately ordered it. I just ordered the second book yesterday, and I'm looking forward to it getting here!



I have no idea how to get my hands on that TV movie version of it made in 1995. I remember that one vaguely from my childhood. I remember something about everyone had a twin and when they touched hands purple light ... I loved it when I was young, but looking back at my memories of it ... Not up to par with the original movie.

Neither was the newest remake with Dwayne Johnson. Love his work, but that movie was awful. They ruined the story, made it an action movie with high tech gadgets and explosions and ...

Ugh. Can I just say UGH!?!

Brian Selznick will surely be added to my favorite authors soon as I read them. I can just tell by looking at them that they are right in my wheelhouse.

That's a saying, right? Wheelhouse?

Happy Reading!!

Comments

Popular Posts